- To achieve a major advance in the fidelity of simulations of the Global Environment by developing an Earth System Model with unprecedented resolution, comprehensively evaluated and verified.
- To perform a ‘Grand Challenge’ multi-century simulation with the new Earth System Model, HiGEM
- To study mechanisms of climate variability and change on timescales of days to centuries
- To improve our understanding of non-linear processes that lead to interactions between small and large spatial scales, and between high and low frequencies, within the Earth system.
- To integrate the global environment modelling activities across NERC
- To support the formation of a national partnership between NERC and the Hadley Centre
- To exploit the major increases in computing power afforded by HPCx (UK) and the Earth Simulator (Japan)